Friday, May 9, 2008

My new hobby: Bows!

A few months ago my friend Anngel taught me how to make baby bows! It is something I've wanted to learn how to do since I had Tabitha. I wanted to be able to make her some bows. Now, not all of those bows in the picture above are ones that I've made. My friends Kasey and Erin made some of them too. I am really enjoying my new hobby! I thought I'd share a few of the bows that I've made and also share how to make them! This past week I taught a few girls in my SAA club how to make them for a club activity. It was really fun! Bows really aren't too hard to make once someone shows you the tricks. And it just gets easier and easier the more you practice! I feel like a nerd but I took "home videos" of myself demonstrating how to make a bow and also a head band. Don't laugh too hard at them...I know that they aren't really in focus. Enjoy! Keep in mind I've only been doing this for a few months so don't expect perfection from me! I'm no pro but I sure have fun!


MAKING A BOW

These are the supplies that you will need to make a baby bow. (I'm not sure why this picture keeps turning sideways like this but I can't figure out how to fix it!).

Supplies:

Ribbon-Grosgrain ribbon is my favorite. I think it is the easiest to work with but you can make a bow out of any kind of ribbon you want! You’ll need ribbon for your actual bow (about 22-24 inches long depending on how big you want your bow. Also I use 3/8" wide ribbon to make a thin bow and 7/8" ribbon to make a thick bow), 1-2 inches of ribbon for the center of your bow and about 4 inches of ribbon to line your clip with (This ribbon should be 3/8" wide ribbon).
NOTE: You can also make a flower clip. Just purchase some fake flowers at the store (they should be kind of flat so they lay against your babie's head), cut off the stem and glue them onto your lined clip. Easy and soooo cute!

Scissors-To cut your ribbon.

Alligator clips-You can usually find these at a beauty supply store. They are also called curl clips and come either double or single pronged. You can also use snap clips.

Hot glue gun

Wire (I use 26 gage)-I found this in the floral/craft section at Wal-Mart. They also have some thicker wire in the beads section.

Wire cutters/needle nose pliers-Most pliers have a wire cutter on them. You’ll need these to cut your wire and then to tighten your wire around the center of your bow.

Foam-So that the clip will stay and be comfortable in your baby’s hair or on a headband. I use the craft Foamie sheets in the craft section of Wal-Mart and cut them to the right size.

STEP 1: "Tying" your bow

STEP 2: Wiring your bow

STEP 3: Gluing the center piece

STEP 4: Lining the clip with ribbon

Gluing the foam piece

Gluing the bow to the clip


MAKING A HEADBAND


Supplies to make a headband:

A knee-high- They come in the little plastic ball containers at Wal-Mart for $.33 a pair. If you’re lucky you can find them in other colors besides white, black and brown. (I’ve seen pink before...cute!) I use the regular sized ones but if you want a thicker headband use the queen sized ones.

Needle and Thread-The thread should match your knee-high.


Ribbon-about 1.5" long to glue around the seam. I like to use a ribbon that is ½ inch wide. This is where your bow will clip onto the headband.


STEP 1: Stitching the headband together

STEP 2: Attaching ribbon to headband

And there you have it! Please let me know if I've left anything out or if you have any questions. I had fun doing this and hope you all have fun making bows!

13 comments:

Kristen said...

SUPER EASY!!! I love home videos especially of things i have been trying to do! THanks a ton! PLus, it was fun to hear your voice!

Lisa said...

I love it Terri!! You do such a great job.

Nat said...

Your bows are beautiful! And Tabi looks so cute with them all. Thanks so much for the tips. I guess I'll be a good mom and wait until I actually have a girl before trying them. Avery probably wouldn't appreciate bows in his hair, even if they were blue.:-)

Amanda Walsh said...

YAY!!! I'm excited to try to make some for Nora! Thanks Terri, sure love ya you demo-pro you.

Erin said...

Okay, you are officially awesome. I am going to go through these this weekend and learn from the best! :)

Jeannie Young said...

You are so cute! I love the video demonstrations! I will have to remember to visit your blog archives when (not IF) I have a girl so I can make some cute bows and headbands. You are so talented, maybe you should start selling them and make a little cash!

Erin said...

I had a little bow-making party with myself last night after the kids were in bed. :) I had so much fun. I LOVE your technique. The bows turned out nicer than the ones I've made previously. You are a born teacher - your videos are perfect and so helpful! I can't wait to try these new bows on Eliza. :) Girly things are just so fun.

Brittanie said...

Terri - Jess told me about your blog and videos on bows. I have been wanting to make these for my girls for so long now! THANK YOU for showing me how. =) I am going to be saving myself so much money! lol

Nashelle said...

Thank you, Terrilyn! I didn't make it to the project night and I would love to try and make at least the headband for baby #2 to come home from the hospital in. Cute!!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tutorials Terri! I'm going to bookmark it. Your bow turned out so cute and you make it look so fun and easy.
You will enjoy this, I think...

http://shedoeshair.blogspot.com/2008/05/q.html

You can see how this lady makes a flower clip. I love her blog!

Anonymous said...

Thankyou!!! That was great! I've bee wanting to learn how! hanks for the tips!! MIss ya tons!!

Katherine said...

I can't seem to load the two videos of how to sew the headband. Could you possibly email those to me? klb44@msn.com

carolee said...

I've really enjoyed your tutorial on bow-making. I was wondering what you use to make the bow center thin instead of knotted? is it a different kind of ribbon?